Built in 1766, St. Paul’s Chapel, also known as “The Little Chapel That Stood," is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan and one of the nation's finest examples of Late Georgian church architecture. The chapel has a rich and incredible history. The building endured the Great New York City Fire of 1776, which burned a quarter of Manhattan, and later served as a place of worship for George Washington on his inauguration day in 1789. Centuries later, the chapel survived the September 11th attacks unscathed, while buildings around it collapsed and functioned as a place of refuge after the attacks for recovery workers at the World Trade Center site. EverGreene restored the interior of the chapel in 2016 and with the addition of a 9/11 memorial in the rear of the building.
EverGreene scraped, primed, and painted the original plaster walls and repaired damaged areas. After the ceiling was preserved, new plaster was injected to stabilize cracks in the walls. Artisans and craftsmen gilded the pulpit, polished the wooden altar rail, and restored the original wooden doors in the main sanctuary. The team also restored the eight magnificent sterling silver chandeliers that hang from the ceiling. The chandeliers were removed, taken apart offsite, cleaned, and broken or missing components were repaired and replaced.