• Bronx County Courthouse

Bronx County Courthouse

The Bronx County Courthouse is a noteworthy example of 1930s, neo-classical Moderne, American civic architecture. The building’s exterior features sculpture groupings and an interior space, Veteran’s Memorial Hall, is decorated with four 14.5 foot x 37 foot James Monroe Hewlett murals depicting significant historical events in the Bronx. 

Prior to implementing a full restoration/conservation of the murals, EverGreene completed a survey, did field testing and  prepared treatment mock-ups.

The four murals were in varying states of disrepair, all required surface cleaning, inpainting areas of loss, and the application of protective varnish. “Settlement of the Territory by James Bronck Under the Dutch” needed the most significant intervention. Its plaster substrate exhibited deterioration, most likely due to an earlier roof leak, and the canvas had multiple areas of planar distortion. EverGreene partially removed this mural from the wall repaired the underlying plaster, and then reinstalled it. Since this disturbed the original lead adhesive EverGreene had utilized environmental controls and conservation techniques not needed for the other murals.

Add to Favorite  Location Bronx, NY
Original Architect
Joseph H. Freelander and Max L. Hausle
Client
New York City Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS)
Originally Designed/Built
1931
Muralist
James Monroe Hewlett
Historic Designation
  • National Register of Historic Places
Services
  • Historic Mural Investigation & Analysis
  • Historic Mural Restoration/Conservation